Friday, January 30, 2015

open house - saturday mornings 2


Open House Saturday

I am so happy you are here...Welcome! 

______________________________________


*Saturday Mornings 2 : love & whimsy*
a favorite blocks collection

A bit of color play and frivolity to cheer up your winter art -
and bring a big dose of love and laughter to your studio!


I adore you...yes I do...


I am hibernating from the cold, can you tell?  Lounging about in my thick sweater and long wool socks,  I am quite the sight.  I hope you are warm enough?  I have your favorite spot ready by the fire.  The hot tea and treats are almost ready.  Curl up, let's grab a bite of food, and chat about our upcoming class...

Winter is perfectly timed for art moments like this.


Debbie McIntyre's winter - thank you for the beautiful snow photo - Old Saybrook, Connecticut
  
As I looked over my journal, my current art, and study materials, I realized I needed a break.  I needed a few lighthearted weekends with my most favorite artist friends (that's YOU).  I am selfish that way.  I think the beauty and silliness of life shouldn't be wasted and I couldn't imagine having all the fun by myself.  No, this is a girlfriends endeavor.  And we are just the artists to take advantage of cold days like this...we will stay in and paint!  

simple supplies + beautiful colors + a big dose of wild inspiration

Yep, it is a perfect mix!

What do you think?  Are you ready for some unpredictable, amusing and whimsical shenanigans?

Yes?

______________________________________



First let's eat~  

I love it when my sister, Rhetta, makes all the food for my Open House weekends. 
It smells and tastes so good around here!  ((We all love your food my dear! xo))


"The kitchen is warming up this morning with the sound of sweet potatoes being grated into a mound of bright orange on our cutting board. We’re making hash browns in the waffle maker today. Savory or sweet for you?    Well, we will have both!

Apples, nutmeg, cloves, a dash of brown sugar, and salt are blended with our potatoes and pressed in our waffle maker. We’re using coconut oil to keep things from sticking…doesn't it smell so good?  Next we’ll crumble some bacon, grate some sweet red peppers, and add a sprinkle of finely diced onion to the blend. A dash of salt and pepper, and tiny sprinkle of chipotle Tabasco then into the waffle maker!



I just saw the greatest way to make poached eggs in a muffin tin…we are pulling the first tray out of the oven now and they will be perfect on top of our hash browns! How easy was that?!



On the sideboard this morning we have adorable cups and mason jars ready for you to layer with juicy chunks of oranges, pears, kiwi, purple grapes, and pomegranate seeds. Creamy yogurt and a bowl of golden lemon curd are ready to be added to the layers then topped with toasted coconut. My favorite combination of tart and sweet, crunchy and chewy!



I hope you can enjoy every flavorful bite. Mother nature's healing abilities through fresh and colorful food are amazing.  If there is one thing I have learned this last year is that we need to slow down and enjoy the beauty of the moment… 
                        Now who is ready for seconds?"                
-Rhetta 


________________________________



*week one - sneak peeks*


sweater trees  |  studio tease  |  valentines, please?


A few things we will be starting with the first week of class...oh, I am excited...

If you have taken a class with me before, you know the drill.  We talk and sketch and come up with way too many good ideas.  Then I ask questions and you answer back (right?).  We laugh and paint and drink coffee.  Everyone gets caught up in all the fun and we forget to make dinner.  

If you haven't taken a class with me before, warn your family...you might forget dinner.  Sorry!



Open House Video | Sketching Trees
(You may need to turn down the volume)


Grab your sketchbook and you can join right in.  We are just starting a fun project that we will be completing together the first week of class.   All you need is a mechanical pencil to get started.

_______________________________________


Our newly updated list of inspirations we are going to be exploring: 

sweater trees (yarn bombing)
and a studio tease 

pocketful-of-sunshine valentines
 little lovebirds 

baking a proper cake - master class
(think "Great Britain bake off")

Italian love letters - lettere d'amore
sparkling layers of winter whites

doorways & romantic stoops
"home blessings"

fresh french bouquets

frolicking sheep & mischievous lambs

_______________________________________




A new materials list - keep it simple: 
(You don't have to purchase all the supplies listed, these are simply a guide for what is used in upcoming projects. I like to use what I have on hand and encourage you to do the same. Be creative!) 
Wood blocks  - typically 2x4's cut in various lengths (3, 4, 5, 6 inches), a 2x6 cut into a squared shape, any other wood pieces you come across.  I cut at least a dozen, at random lengths, at a time, you may want to start with less.  Hardware stores will cut them for you, just ask a nice looking person to help you.  If you don't want to use wood blocks you can use canvases in any size, art journal pages, or simply sketch along with us in your sketchbook.  Once you try a wood block...you will be addicted.  Fair warning.

Sandpaper #100
Sketchbook (one you will use) and mechanical pencils
Book paper, torn from an old book
Pieces of colorful paper.  I recommend cardstock weight (heavier, thicker), but any will do.

Acrylic paints - any colors that you love right now.  Include white/cream and black to your mix.
Heavy body acrylic paints - titanium white (golden brand is what i use) and any other colors you love the most.
Acrylic brushes - in assorted sizes.  Purchase a small inexpensive package if you need variety.

White gesso - I love the cheap gesso (Daler Rowney)
Decoupage or Mod podge - matte finish is my favorite
Neocolor ll crayons or a set of simple watercolors - we use brown quite a bit.
A couple sheets of 8x11 hot pressed (smooth) watercolor paper, you don't need an expensive brand.

Black sharpie fine point pen
White sharpie poster paint pen, fine or medium.  I have a hard time finding these outside of Amazon.com
Rub-ons - a scrapbooking supply that adds a secondary dimension to your work.  (I only use a few)
Texture helps - start collecting little pieces of punchinella, sheet rock tape, or bubble wrap if you like the look of texture in your work. (Find things around your home...be creative)
And: Clear glitter, ribbon, new condiment bottle (I will show you), small sharp scissors.



Home blessing sketches - a week 4 project
In all the courses I have taught (many, many), I have learned that the greatest gifts are found in a collective mix of artists coming together with goodness in their hearts, kindness on their lips, and an eagerness to build inspired moments for all.   
I see you, my friend, as one of these blessed souls.

You are the most important part of your art
(Well...you and your sketchbook!) 

I believe in you.  I know you have it in you to try.  I will be here to hold your hand.




I am honored you will join me and our group of amazing artists as we embark on a new adventure in lighthearted creative play.  You may just find your new creative muse in the mix!


love & gesso
Junelle



____________________________________________

If you haven't signed up, here is the link for you:


Saturday Mornings:  Love & Whimsy
My Favorite Blocks Collection 2

$35





Our class is available to you as soon as you sign up! 
You will receive a welcome email within 24 hours of purchase.  


__________________________________________




If you would like to try our first Saturday Mornings Class, please do.  It is a crowd favorite, loaded with a dozen more projects to try.  It is available for two (or more) years, no stress.  All of the details and link HERE.


Saturday Mornings Class (the first collection): link HERE.




And, Rhetta's delicious recipe from our open house today...Oh, yum!  


Peeled Sweet Potato Hash Browns
For sweet hash browns:
·         Coconut oil
·         Spice (cinnamon or nutmeg or dash of cloves)
·         Grated Apple

For savory hash browns:
·         use bacon grease instead of the coconut oil
·         grate in a little bit of red or orange pepper or onion
·         add a few bacon crumbles

1.     Heat the waffle iron to its medium setting..
2.     While it’s heating, peel the uncooked sweet potatoes (or yams) and grate them on the large holes of a box grater.
3.     Squeeze the grated potatoes in cloth or paper towels to extract as much moisture as possible.
4.     When the iron is hot (ready light comes on), fill the bottom half with 1-2 teaspoons of coconut oil and brush it over the top and bottom irons.
5.     Squeeze the potatoes again to release any excess moisture.
6.     Season the sweet potatoes as desired by mixing spices into the grated potatoes.
7.     Place about 1 cup of potato in the iron, spread it out, and close it. Cook until the hash browns are golden brown and crisp, about eight to ten minutes.
8.     Repeat with the remaining mixture.
Throw an egg on top for a great breakfast, or serve as a side with lunch or dinner.









Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...