Tuesday, November 26, 2013

a good study - brand new workshop for 2014


When the right things come together...

In the pile of pillows and books next to my bed is a wide mix of goodness. Stacks of playful poetry, sublime devotions, and tomes of places, languages, and people's lives (biographies).  All to keep my reader's eye happy for months.  It is a plump pile of newness and discovery.  I love a good study, don't you?

The way my art comes to life (most often) is from the organic mix that begins here.  It is from the seeking and finding that begin in this space.  The words and images merry and mingle in my dreams.  My sketchbooks fill with moments of deep questioning and discovery.  And the individuals I read of and study become dear friends.

The blessed space between my art and my inspired thoughts becomes...entwined.


I do know one thing is sure.  I love digging deeply.  

Digging deep in a subject allows new ideas to come together in unexpected ways -- each day the ideas grow and my art is challenged and pushed outward.  Especially in the winter months of hibernation, finding healthy ways to feed our body and mind are so important!

I suppose that is why I was so excited by Jeanne's proposition.  A class of studying deeply.  Of taking a few weeks this year to immerse ourselves in those that have walked the way of inspiration + art and have left us great treasures through their hearts and fingertips.  What a great way to start this new year!

So let me share with you the brilliant idea~



In Jeanne's words:
"There is a lost art of studying the works of others to find your own style. All of the "masters" were first apprentices and were given the freedom to find their creative voice by literally sitting next to those who inspired them. The apprentice sat beside them, listening to their descriptions of process, picking up their paintbrush and mixing their paint, creating a series of strokes that created something that told a story, and stirred their creative spirit.

And, with practice, the apprentice became a master in their own right – mixing together the old and the new.
Somewhere, over the course of time (and certainly with current social media) we have lost sight of openly emulating those who inspire us most.  Have you ever taken an online course, gone to a retreat, purchased an art technique book and were taught an artist's techniques and mediums?  Have you ever been worried about what is your style and what is "their" style?  Have you ever been afraid to create art that was inspired by another artist?  This course is for you!

I want to offer a course that gives you some of the most amazing artists in history and how each of us can learn from them. And that openly learning from them is a good thing.

Join nine artists as we become the “apprentice”. We will share how we became a modern-day apprentice to those who came before us and those who work beside us now. Through discussion and technique videos, each artist will share their week with a “master” as if they are sitting next to them. You’ll learn who their “master” artist studied under, who influenced their work and what techniques and mediums they used.

An integral part of the artistic process was to “copy” the master artist until the apprentice could confidently integrate pieces of it into their own creative process. In this course, you will watch as these artists "copy" the works of another artist. You will then learn as they create art in their own style incorporating the techniques and/or medium of their chosen artist.

My hope is that you will leave this course with freedom in your creativity.
Freedom to pull from everything around you that inspires you and how to incorporate it into your art.
The confidence to realize that nothing is new under the sun and how to build upon others that have come before you.
The courage to share who inspires your creative works.
And most importantly, to know that we all learn in the same way.

This is the Art of Practicing." 

I have spent enough time with Jeanne to know her heart and I am honored to be involved in such a fun and rewarding class of goodness.  I can tell you that this is an online class I wouldn't hesitate to sign up for, it is full of all sorts of tools and inspirations that will help you on your own art journeys this year! 

The weeks will be full of discussion and fresh insights into some amazing and cherished artists.  I am so excited to see what each week will offer.  For me, I have taken this project and run with it, finding myself immersed in a time and place I am fascinated with and I can hardly wait to share.  


I have chosen a favorite artist of mine ~ Antonio Gaudi

Other artists will include:  Matisse, O'Keefe, Cezanne, Chagall, Botticelli and more...so many more!!!


*a nine week course*


*Over 60 discussion and technique videos* 


*Supply lists, prompts, book suggestions*



*Weekly live chats*


*Inspiration in all sorts of mediums*

___________________________________________________________

Let's learn together~ 
I will gladly sit by you in class (I do like to talk and pass notes though, lol!)

 $62



  Class Begins January 14!






Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...