Sunday, October 16, 2011

woolly paints


Wool.

 In anticipation of sheep shearing this week, I am doing a watercolor of colorful wools.
(it also helped that I was completely inspired by Anna's sweet knitting work ~ she is a great artist and her blog is so filled with Mum love).

Eye candy from the Fiber Fair in Hailey, Idaho 

The shearing this week at the farm will be: foreheads and rumps. Neither area does well with loads of wool through the winter -- so a bit of a clean up is good.  It will be a fun day.  Kate & Bea (my bottle fed lambs) will certainly love the attention and the saltines I will sneak in my pockets.


I think the trick to painting fibers is in the texture. 
In watercolors it is easy to add texture through sketching (pencil, pen) and layering paint, lots of paint.  

I am learning to sit back and let things dry and then add a slightly different hue on top.  Sometimes I get really brave and add a completely new color, too.  Try something funky and fun ~ you may really like it.    



What are you working on this week?
Want to come help me shear some sheep?  :o)

love & lambs,
jj
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...