Friday, August 19, 2011

a sketch and a psalm

"For it is You who lights my lamp, the Lord my God lightens my darkness."     Psalm 18   

* * * * * * * * * * 
The sketch this week was a simple one ~ my camera.  I am never quite sure of myself when I start new sketches (are you?).  

And this one seemed so...silly?


There is strong validation in images, colors,  verses, single words that revisit our thoughts.  And if they end up in our sketches...it is a really good to pay attention.  Remember, if an idea circles around and around, and comes to you again -- you had better get out a pen.  Yes and amen?  

So silly it is...and I sketched it in pencil and pen in my notebook.

 my art ~ my heart

With inspiration from the black backgrounds I am constantly drawn to, and the wildness of color that kept showing up at the top of the pile, I cut out bits of lens and camera body from a wide variety of papers. 

It looked like a jumbled mess of trips I have taken over the past few years:  a desert we just visited, Park Guell in Barcelona, a beach in Palma, a city street in NYC, hiking maps.  I liked the bits of memories.

Then I reached for the paint~  

"You are God who equips me with strength"    Psalm 18

In the midst of this cutting and assemblage, I will be honest, I have been working on my backbone.

Listing all the things I want to do this fall, I found myself completely overwhelmed and then I lost my courage.  I was struggling with ideas of weakness and inability.  Instead of seeing what I was skilled at, I was stalled by fear, and I lost my lens of clarity.

Has this happened to you too?

The strong words on this piece became a beacon of God's push & pull on me.
I needed to re-visit where my strength really stands~

"I love you, O Lord, my strength"     Psalm 18

 The creative process is at times a hard & healing one.  It can undo us in brokenness and bind us up in encouraging new growth.  It is a God-tool -- bringing us to a more real place with who we really are.   


I needed the reminding help.  I am strong in Him.  My feet are firmly planted and my heart is new.  I am being pushed and I am able.  And every little thing is going to be all right~ 

 Once again I see the *goodness in silliness*.  A simple sketch can be cathartic in it's simplicity ~ a clear and simple way to reach a head and heart.  I love it. 

God is in the details ~ always ~


Yes and amen,
in layers of paint,
jj




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...