Friday, January 3, 2014

untamed studies

young Mary - a watercolor love
 Quiet.

I think quiet is such a gift.  It is exactly what I needed this week.  Today I have all the blinds open and the dancing sunlight is filling up the inner rooms.  The birds that haven't left for winter are outside bantering and singing.  The ice and snow melting off the roof  makes crackling noises as the house sighs and settles into winter hibernation. The holiday merriment is over and Christmas decorations are colorful memories.

Don't get me wrong, I love the holidays. I do...
But the snow white winter days, the quiet of a world in deep sleep, the unwritten-ness of January is a beautiful thing.  I do love a sparkling new start.


My projects for the year, my "progress piles", are stacked in rows on my desk.  You too?  

A new focus of study is always good.    

Lately for me it has been Antoni Gaudi.  I am his devoted apprentice and am working on ways to share him with those taking the newest class: Studying under the Masters Workshop (beginning January 14).  We, Antoni and I,  have spent weeks together (months actually) and I have decided that he is completely wild and wonderful, with a spirit too large for his frame!  I am working on projects right now based on his amazing works and my heart for him just grows.     


The other tamed/untamed fetish I have is my sunday study of the nuns.  I know, strange.  But, I am so captivated with their stories and the devotion they have to the One they love.  They teach me new and beautiful ways to look at the world.  I think passionate study and playful sketching is one of the best ways to live a creative life and they definitely provide the material. I don't think this is going to end very soon, perhaps there is a niche market for nun art? (ha ha!)

Do you have something you would love to learn?  Something you really want to try/understand this year?  I will be your cheerleader.  I think we can learn so much about ourselves and the world by studying the things we really want to know.  This is the perfect time to do it, too!  

L to R:  Mary mother of Jesus, Catherine of Siena, Hildegard of Bingen,
St. Teresa of Avila, St. Francis of Assisi, quote from St. Teresa   

In the newness of this year and with excited anticipation, I am sharing one more important change.  I am going to be doing my own workshops and offerings this year!  Christy has been a great gift in my life, her love/friendship/mentoring have blessed me in so many ways.  Having her constant support the past two years has been a great experience.  I am so grateful!  We are such good friends and it is the perfect time for a big change.  I couldn't be more thrilled for her new ideas and I know she will always be a great sister-artist-friend to me.  

I will be sharing my new (and very sincere) offerings with you soon -- and I promise it won't be a workshop of nuns, lol!  

All around it looks like a year of new and surprising adventures...I am ready.  Are you?  

So much love for you... 
in gesso and Jesus,
jj


And...as always...the sheep will be involved.  xo



22 comments:

  1. Oh, Junelle, I can't wait!! :) I will be there to learn with bells on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go friend. I'm sure it will be wonderful. Btw I love the way you write. There is such a peacefulness to your words. It draws me in just like your art. What a beautiful soul you are.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to what you bring this year. More yummy workshops! That picture of Mary...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Junelle, I love your work. I've booked two of your courses already which I'm about to start and was looking at another couple so I can't wait to see what else you come up with this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Junelle, I must tell you something about nuns in my life….my father's only three sisters were all nuns!!! That's right, three! Two "came out" after more that 15 years in the service of Jesus, one remains in her religious order [over 50 years]. The nuns you have painted here are so sweet!
    So ready to see what you offer this year….so happy you're "on your own" - your words and art are always an inspiration. Happy New Year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am curious what the new year will bring!!! I was still working on the Art of Spring class.... not finished yet but nearly. And I am proud of it. I will show you when it is finally finished! Greetings from good old Germany, Sabine

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my Goodness... My Heart Leaped.... I so agree with what farmgirl paints said.... I wish I could take that course... God must of known.... now I have hope with your new classes coming... I wait... please, not too long...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am happy you will be doing your own... I love all teh nature and things you do, and especially flowers.. that seems to be what i love to paint, the outdoors... Happy New Year..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year Junelle! Anxious to see what you have in store for us this year and I also hope it's a class on your own. So looking forward to seeing you in NC! xo mac

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to see what great classes will be offered. Both you and Christy are amazing together and equally amazing apart!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay! Looking forward to more workshops with you, Junelle! You are truly a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Junelle, I so love your New Year thoughts and always feel excited to see and read what you share. Whilst I love having my own process about making projections about this large white canvas the New Year represents, I always get intrigued and inspired by "Junelle's wild world" ;-) I can't wait for your new art class - I SO need this right now. And just so that you know, I WILL be first in line when you make an art class all about nuns, LOL :-)) I would LOVE it!!!
    I hope you will share snippets of your Gaudi study here - I loved seeing your study of nuns.
    Big bear hug!

    ReplyDelete
  13. There *is* just something about the nuns, isn't there? <3
    I'm delighted to hear of the new turn you will be taking in your courses...will be looking forward with anticipation. <3
    But, of course the sheep will be involved! And how glad we are!!! ;)
    love, tina

    ReplyDelete
  14. justjuliemakinstuff@blogspot.comJanuary 4, 2014 at 2:31 PM

    Oh Junelle!!! Soooo looking forward to see what your upcoming classes will be!! You take me to such wonderful places!! See u soon I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a book all prepped and ready for some junelle style artwork

    ReplyDelete
  16. I too have a sudden interest in Nuns. After watching call the midwife on Netflicks!! I would love to know what books you are using as a source of inspiration. Can't wait to see what this new year brings with my new found friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i love you big sweet friend. it's going to be a good year.:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am delighted to hear that you are doing your own workshops this year! It's time. You are a joy. Thank you for sharing your work with us, and for the inspiration you offer.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh such peace and inspiration I feel whenever I read one of your blogposts Junelle. Soooo looking forward to more of your own workshops this year… just can't get enough of your beautiful soul…. you truly bless us all in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh how sweet Junelle, I love reading your blog and really rejoice that you are such a God-send in my life. You are so encouraging in every way. I am also excited about the class I will be taking with you under Jeanne Oliver. Looking forward to new things. I have enjoyed every moment. Blessings to you! I love your thoughts on NUNS...lol...a Sunday Study on Nuns. adorable. heart hugs to you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...