Wednesday, October 30, 2013

storytelling

Storytelling.


The artistry of storytelling cuts through every art form.  Typically we hear it in well woven stories, in poetry, and in strings of words that transport our thoughts.  Some writers are gifted with just-the-right words and patience to lay plots, embellish characters, and land the right lines to make us laugh or cry.  I do love a good read.  

Me, no, I am not a patient storyteller.  I love words -- they are one of my favorite mediums.  But in telling of a tale, I either rush through (out of my own excitement) or end up telling half of the story and messing up the great ending.  I know this about myself, I have more fun listening.


I am raising young men with distinctive artistic leanings.  I am learning, through their unique expressions, that the reach of story sharing is much greater than what resides in text.  One is studying computer science and is able to conceptualize and share many layers of meaning at once - creating works of dynamic art.  My oldest is a musician and a brilliant writer, and he shares things through sounds, rhythms and layers of wordy-words. Josh, my youngest, loves to do what I do, create messy kinds of art with his imagination and fingers.

And then, Joseph, my boy that helped me with this work I am sharing today, is taken with the dramatic arts.


Storytelling for me is a visual art:  I see things and stories come alive in my mind.

Perhaps you are the same way?  Do you get lost in a beautiful image?  When you see the light fall on a couple sitting on their stoop, highlighting just their heads; do you imagine what are they talking about?  When I see the crinkling brown lines form on the shepherd's smiling face, does he see something in the sheep I don't see?  Watching the old tree bend and twist with ice and snow, what could it be sharing with me?  The visual world is full of symbolism and storylines...

Capturing images of the sublime - the divine light streaming through the trees - keeps my stories moving forward.  I love photography for this reason.  In is the capturing of a single moment, a moment I want to save, it allows me to see deeply and share my own inner stories...

The layered story I am sharing today is based on the season of Fall, my young sons, Joseph & Josh (finding a way through a hard place) and the words of Walt Whitman.  May this little collection bring inspiration for your own stories to be born and shared (in any medium).


This is what you shall do...

Love the earth and the sun and the animals, 
despise riches, give alms to everyone that asks,
stand up for the stupid and crazy, 
devote your income and labor to others, 
hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, 
have patience and indulgence toward the people,  
...go freely with the powerful uneducated persons, 
and with the young and with the mothers of families, 
read these leaves in the open air 
every season of every year of your life,
re-examine all you have been told at school 
or church or in any book. 
dismiss whatever insults your own soul; 
and your very flesh shall be a great poem... 
Walt Whitman (1819-1892)


dedicated to my young sons - pianist is my husband


Is it time to share your stories?

You are a storyteller.  
You have brilliant things to share.


Don't be limited to a single way of sharing.  You are a unique artist.  Perhaps looking inside you will see ways to embed your thoughts in music, prose, photography, watercolors, quilting and stitching, art journaling, voice recordings, or writing out a few short stories.   You will find a way~  



With love and blessing,
jj



22 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Junelle... You are such a shining light... love and hugs... jane bradley

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very beautiful and inspiring Junelle...thank you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this. It is exactly what I needed. I will find a way! You are such a blessing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Junelle, you are very blessed with you beautiful family and your beautiful spirit....you are a strong inspiration for me...I love your words, your art, you ability to see beauty where most would never find it....I'm glad I found you! And your husband's music is so very soothing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the pictures.. the music was awesome~! I could feel God's love everywhere~!
    Thanks for all you bring to your blog..I'm grateful, thankful and feel blessed..
    ta ta for now from Iowa:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always present things in an interesting way... so much so that it makes me think of things in ways I never imagined!! You r truly a treasure!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Junelle it is clear that God is using you to inspire others and gently spread his love. Always enjoy your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rose D. Frenchtown, NJOctober 31, 2013 at 4:18 AM

    I cried from beginning to end! So very beautiful. Sending love from NJ!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Junelle; I am so very moved by, not only your art, your voice, your beautiful spirit, but you are helping me to uncover so many things I've neglected to focus on.

    You have a beautiful and multi-talented family! Thank you for YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful way to start my day! You have blessed us with many things, not just in art, and I thank you for that. Thank you for sharing a piece of your family with us, and the beautiful music played by your husband! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Girl got news for you. You are a great storyteller. I love this space and your beautiful heart. And Walt Whitman is my favorite poet. Lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful coffee break, sitting down between projects in Art of Holiday Goodness. This is so beautiful. You are one of the most wonderful storytellers I know, through so many vehicles, really. My family is musical as well, and I always enjoy others' creations, whether art or music or words. Inspiring! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you, Junelle, for sharing your heart with us. Life is so precious...and each of us is given a gift of creativity in one way or another, for we are created in our Creator's image. This has been a blessing to me today, a reminder of that Truth.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The video/photos are beautiful, Junelle. You tell a wonderful story. The piano piece went so well with the story. Your husband plays beautifully. I felt a sense of calm and peace while watching and listening. Thank you for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a blessing indeed to be raising young men in this world that puts such high expectations on things disconnected with art. I am a French teacher, and I enjoy helping my students reach their highest artistic expression through writing and speaking and if even they never step foot in another French class again, I know that paying attention to the details of their heart will serve them right. LOVELY BLOG! Anita

    ReplyDelete
  16. Junelle...you are so blessed. Beautiful young sons, and raising them is one of the most beautiful environments. Watching your photo video brought back memories of raising my two beautiful sons...they are middle aged men now, but will always remain "boys" in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your photography is so beautiful. Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The video and music is absolutely beautiful! I love to read your blog and also love your artwork. You are such an inspiration. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. brilliantly done. i find such inspiration here, thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...