Sunday, June 7, 2009

*WORD*
the one word study

june 7-14

I love that this study! Every
word that is placed before me seems to closely mirror what is moving forward in my life. The one *WORD* is just that. Powerfully present in my life right now. BIG. I have been around every side of this one - even upside down and backwards, but I can't get enough.

I am fascinated by it...smitten with it...the
WORD.

Obviously the power of
a word is undeniable. Last year, so much of our nation's dialogue was focused on words...not actions...just words. We were choosing a new President for our country by focusing intensely on what letters, sounds, nouns, and verbs came off of his tongue. (I am so thankful that we chose someone so inspiring to listen to.) Anyway, we feel/judge/understand/and make decisions in our lives based on tonal, lingual, and poetic sequences of letters.

What drives consumer marketing? What do I type in google? What do I sing when that awesome song comes on the radio? What comes off the tongue when Joshe comes in the door with chocolate rubbed all over his hands and face?
$&^#@*!

But, do words carry that much weight? Oh, yeah.

I believe words are charged with great power. Proverbs gives strict council that our words bring life - and - sadly bring death. Life and death. Our tongue is our most powerful tool in this life. Death and life. Simple strings of letters coming off the lips of someone you love can make your day wonderful or break your heart. A simple word can empower a project or suck all your energy dry.

It's true.

As I sat through service yesterday I kept thinking of the beauty and power of God's Word and how it penetrates and energizes me. The bible comforts and quiets as well, but today it was
buzzing. The energy of the words in the worship songs were pushing me up out of my seat. I loved it. I wanted to take that untamed vibrancy of God's word with me - I wanted it to stay (that powerfully) in me. I didn't want it to fade away with the day, you know?

I often get home and write profound words down. I have scribbles everywhere. Crumpled bits of paper and long list in the notebook I keep. I don't always remember what I was thinking when I write something down, but I love to come across a bits of "agape love" written across an old envelope. Or "I exist to make HIM known" written on the back of a pink card in my purse.
These tender scribbles bring me life - they are the living word to me.

I am not sure what my family thinks of my scrawls as they come across them, probably "my Mom is so weird". Yep, she's a crazy one.

But back to the service...This "out of my seat" desire was different. I wanted - even envisioned - writing these words all over the walls.

I think I may have turned into a 4 year old?

I want to pull out all my sharpie markers and write yummy words, verses, and poetry all over my walls.

Hmmm...
Perhaps I will.

(stay tuned)

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4 In him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it...

9The true light, which enlightens everyone, was coming into the world. 10He was in the world, and the world was made through him, yet the world did not know him. 11He came to his own, and his own people did not receive him. 12But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, 13who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.

14And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth. (John 1)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...